As a business owner, you’ve probably heard that it’s a pretty good idea to write blogs for your website. Yeah yeah, add it to the endless list of things you have to do this week.
But if your business isn’t blogging yet, and isn’t blogging regularly, you’re missing out.
A blog can dramatically help your business attract new customers.
But what exactly is a blog, and why do you need one? Can they really make all that big a difference to your business and website traffic? Let’s take a closer look.
What exactly is a blog?
A blog is usually a page on a website where you can post information, knowledge, opinions etc. on a regular basis, a bit like a journal. These posts (or blogs) are generally shown in reverse chronological order.
Why do you need a blog?
Well, here are some FACTS first, courtesy of the very intelligent people at eSense Web Design:
- If your website is updated regularly it can help your rankings
- If you have lots of quality pages on your website it can help your rankings
- If your website is shared with others on social media it can help your rankings (and bring more referral customers)
- If people come to your website and stay a while it can help your rankings
- If people come to your website and then come back repeatedly it can help your rankings
One of the easiest, neatest, most effective ways to do all of the above is with a blog.
Some other points to consider:
- A blog is great for SEO and helps drive traffic to your website. Every time you write a blog post that includes a few relevant keywords, you’re increasing your chances of people being able to find your company on search engines. Blogs usually fare pretty well on search engines like Google because they’re updated regularly, and Google prefers dynamic websites to static ones. Put simply, a blog gives you endless opportunities to be found online.
- Blogging helps generate leads. Every person that clicks onto your blog is a potential new customer. Once they read your blog, they will hopefully want to stick around and see what else is on your website!
- Blogging helps build credibility and strengthen your brand. If your company’s blog contains well-written, insightful content, readers will be more likely to think highly of your company and consider your company a leader in its field. People are more likely to purchase products or services from businesses they feel like they already “know”.
- A blog gives your company a voice. It’s a place let your brand’s personality shine and show people what you’re all about. It positions you as an expert in your field.
- A blog creates a two-way conversation with customers. It encourages interaction, comments and feedback (as long as you reply to all the comments!)
Now you know WHAT a blog is and WHY you need one – why do you continue to put it off?
The reasons why people procrastinate about blogging is endless.
“I’m not good at writing”
“I don’t have time for it in my schedule”
“I don’t know where to start”
“I get stuck and find myself with writers block”
“It’s such a process – brainstorm, research, write, edit, edit again, publish, promote, share, monitor…”
“It’s such a commitment – once I start I have to do it regularly!”
“My industry is too boring to write about”
The best way to combat your blogging blues is to embrace blogging and all of the hard work that comes with it. Stop looking for excuses and get on with it. Hubspot have a great tool that helps you come up with blog topic ideas. I use this when I’m stuck just to give me a shove in the right direction.
Failing that, hire someone who can do all the hard work for you (that’s me)! Either way, once you get a blog happening on your website, you’ll thank yourself for it!
If you liked this post, please share it.